Holy Family Home
Holy Family Home was founded in 1956 by the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne, New York who opened a total of seven homes throughout the nation, caring for individuals with incurable cancer. 60 years later, that same caring tradition continues to individuals who are diagnosed with any life-limiting illness and in need of loving, compassionate care. We recognize the overwhelming feelings that many families experience with the illness and passing of a loved one, and through our strong spiritual emphasis, we focus on patient and family support, each step of the way.
Some Holy Family patients prefer to stay at home, while others may need another level of care to manage pain or other symptoms and may feel more comfortable knowing that professionals are with them 24/7. As the first residential inpatient hospice facility in the greater Cleveland area, Holy Family Home allows patients and their families to get the extra attention they need when they need it most. We believe that providing the best level of care for a patient includes caring for the family as well. Holy Family offers clinical, emotional and spiritual support throughout the journey, so the family can focus on giving love and comfort to their loved one.
Holy Family Home Serves Patients who:
- Choose to receive hospice care services 24/7.
- Require more intensive,acute symptom management than can be provided in their home or place of residence
- Need respite care to give their caregivers a short rest from providing care at home
- Do not have a caregiver in the home, or can no longer safely live alone
Holy Family Home, a peaceful and serene 30 bed inpatient center, is conveniently located in Parma but nestled on 7 1/2 beautifully wooded acres and provides a retreat for patients and their families.At Holy Family Home patients may enjoy time with family and friends and have access to compassionate care that addresses their spiritual, emotional and physical needs. Holy Family Home is open to families 24 hours a day and features:
- Spacious rooms
- Large screen television with ability to view the daily Mass on in house channel
- Sleeper recliner in each room for families to comfortably stay with their loved one
- Shelves for keepsakes and photos from home
- Plenty of space for family and friends to gather
- Family lounges with kitchenettes on each floor
- Welcoming living rooms
- A meditation room
- A chapel offering daily Mass
- Daily rosary, communion and chapel
- Meals made to order
- Family area
- Screened in patio with views of woods and wildlife
- A relaxing atmosphere complete with fish pond and water features
- 24/7 visitation
Your Care Team
Holy Family provides comprehensive, “whole-person” care that addresses the physical, emotional and spiritual concerns of individuals with a life-limiting illness. This model of care emphasizes comfort and quality of life, and it respects our patients’ goals, preferences and choices.The Holy Family care team is comprised of experienced administrative staff, a medical director, nurses, state tested nursing assistants, social workers, religious Sisters, full-time Chaplain, volunteers and grief support counselors.
Holy Family respects that life is a journey with changes, transitions, rites of passage, and cycles of nature. Spirituality is an interwoven part of everything we do and touches each member of the family. Simple, yet powerful, everyday events such as listening, conversing, easing troubled hearts, reconnecting divided relationships, and participating in life-enriching activities help to bring peace and comfort to the entire family. The importance of spiritual care differs from person to person. Some people may find solace in the rituals and traditions of organized religion; others may need to evaluate the meaning of their life and relationships or come to terms with important issues.
As a faith-based hospice, we believe that our patients’ spiritual well-being is equally as important as their physical and emotional needs. It is the cornerstone of all that we do. Our conscientious approach to end-of-life care for individuals of all faiths, is based on moral and ethical principles that support the value of human life at every stage as outlined by the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services. We respect each patient’s religious beliefs and faith preferences and communicate openly with their faith community in order to offer services that are meaningful to them.
Pastoral Services include:
- Spiritual support for the patient, family members and caregivers
- Support all all denominations and faiths
- Addressing the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of patients at the end of life
- Offering counsel, prayer and ethical exploration
- Arrange receiving of sacraments such as Reconciliation, Eucharist and Anointing of the Sick
- Assisting in planning a funeral/memorial service
- Speaking at a funeral /memorial service
In addition to traditional therapies like medication, medical equipment and supplies, we also offer vigil sitting, and alternative therapies such as prayer support, music, massage, and pet therapy. These special services enhance each patient’s quality of life
Make a Referral
If you have questions about hospice care, or are considering referring someone for hospice care, please call us for a free confidential consultation. Referrals may come from family members, friends, physicians, health care professionals, nursing home or hospital staff or from a potential hospice patient.
As we build upon the legacy of the Dominican Sisters of Hawthorne, we continue to offer our patients excellent care and services, regardless of their financial status, religion, national origin, race, sex, or age.
Holy Family Home continues to rely heavily upon the generosity of people who support this ministry through direct donations.