Each year, St. Augustine staff take approximately 30+ nursing home and assisted living residents on vacation – camping – for a week, in handicapped accessible cabins. An additional 30+ will join them each day for day camp. While at camp, they are able to fish, swim, interact with horses, and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of nature!
Campers enjoy a variety of activities and can live life to the fullest, regardless of age, illness or disability. The fresh air, the freedom, and just being away from “home” seems to give residents new energy and more independence. They come back from camp saying, “I felt normal again!” The success of Happy Campers is evidenced when residents don’t ask for pain or anxiety medication throughout the week! St. Augustine has been recognized as the only facility in the state to provide a camping trip like this for residents.
Volunteer Your Time
Happy Campers Week would be an impossible endeavor if it weren’t for the many volunteers who generously donate their time. Volunteers help transport residents to activities around the campgrounds, serve meals in the dining hall, play cards and games, help with crafts, fishing, or simply sit and visit. Volunteer individually or as a group! For more information about volunteering, please contact (216) 939.7601.
Sponsorships & Donations
This is a costly and labor-intensive endeavor. So why do we do it? Because it’s the right thing to do as part of our mission to promote quality of life. You can help make this “vacation” a reality by donating today.
- $500 – Underwrite activities such as horse therapy, swimming, & entertainment
- $150 – Sends 3 residents to day camp
- $50 – Sends 1 resident to day camp for a day
In-Kind Donations: Help reduce the cost of Happy Campers Week by providing any of the following (in part or whole). If you think you can help, please let us know for planning purposes:
- Soda (diet, regular, Sprite/7up, root beer) -5 cases/cubes of each
- Chips (individual bags of potato chips, Frito’s, cheese puffs, BBQ, 200 of each
- Condiments: ketchup, mayo, mustard, relish 3 squeeze bottles each
- Bread, English muffins, assorted breakfast muffins
- Peanut butter & jelly (2 each), supplies for s’mores
- Eggs (20 dozen)
- Cheese (shredded and sliced), cream cheese (assorted flavors)
- Fruits & vegetables (onions, tomatoes, potatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, corn-on-the-cob)
- Craft supplies, fishing rods, fishing worms etc
Please email: email@example.com or call (216) 939.7602 for more details.
Join Us for Friends & Family Night
The grand finale of the week is our Friends & Family Night, which will take place on Thursday, August 22. The evening includes a 4 p.m. outdoor Mass, a family cookout with ribs and chicken, singing around the campfire and of course, a marshmallow roast. Everyone is welcome to attend!
Reservations are needed and can be made by calling (216) 939.7711 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The suggested donation for our Friends & Family Night is $10 per person.